Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Beginnings

This Blog is my chronicle of restoring an early 1950's Korean Era M38A1 Army Jeep.

This particular M38A1 was originally revived in the early 1970's in Marshall, AR by my father, Rick Horton, for his uncle, Audrey Horton. He took 3 Jeeps & assorted parts and built 2 good Jeeps. The other was an M38/CJ2A combination for Dad's other uncle, A.D. Horton.

Basic Information on the Jeep:
  • M38A1 Frame, tub, transmission/transfer & front end
  • M38 Rear end
  • Front fenders, grill & hood from another M38A1
  • Crated motor that Audrey acquired - brand new or rebuilt motor
  • Ford Falcon Carberateur
At some point the Jeep which had its original olive drab paint & Army markings (including the star on the hood), was sanded lightly & repainted blue, presumably with spray paint.

Years later, after Audrey's passing, his son & daughter, Stephen & Stephana, took the Jeep to Stephana's father-in-law's place at Greer's Ferry Lake, doing time as a Lake Jeep. In 2002, I played in a golf tournament with Tim Loyd (Stephana's husband), & learned they still had the Jeep. I impressed upon Tim they were to call me first if they ever decided to sell it. Tim's dad, John, called me in July of 2004 & offered me the Jeep for what he had in it for parts, a sum total of $400.00. The Jeep was still running well, & I recruited Dad & Uncle A.D. to go pick it up. We took delivery of the Jeep on August 21, 2004.

Dad did some initial work in the fall on the jeep, re-plumbing the oil lines & replacing the electric fuel pump with an original mechanical fuel pump (civilian), as the motor tries to die when you give it that initial increase in fuel. Apparently someone had tried their hand at rebuilding the carb at some point, as Dad said the motor ran much smoother when Audrey had it. He brought the Jeep to me in November from his place in Marshall, AR (to my place in Lakeland, TN). Now begins the work!

No comments: