Saturday, January 15, 2005

Jan 15, 2005

Began on the monumental task before me of restoring this Jeep. I don't plan to restore this one to the degree I am with the CJ2A with Dad . . . that one is a frame-off restoration, due to the extensive work to get that Jeep in shape again. This Jeep is in running condition, & will not require a full restoration to make the return to the look of an Army Jeep. Considering this Jeep is made of several, I figure I have a blank template to work from. My thoughts range from making it a medic's jeep or even possibly one used by the military clergy, but I have to take into account that most of what I've seen on the M38A1's history, they all look very similar, as there seem to be a limited selection in markings. That said, I have plenty of time to research it before I have to make any decisions, as it will be a while before I reach that point. For the moment, I have plenty of work just reconditioning the jeep.

Rather than sandblasting, I plan to sand everything smooth (basically to remove the existing blue Krylon paint job), down to the original OD paint & repaint with the correct OD for whatever version I settle on. I think I'll keep most of the minor dents & dings, for character (as well as keeping costs down). I'm not particularly interested in this jeep looking like it just rolled off the production line.

Today's work: removed the hood & sanded smooth, removing all the remaining blue, & sanding the rusted spots to clean metal & painted with rust-inhibiting primer. Also buffed the hinges, hood latches, hood tie-down footman's loop & the hood latch ring, priming all. I've left the underside of the hood original, as it has retained it's original OD paint (was not repainted) as well as the correct stencilings. I'll post a pic when I get the time in the coming week.

Next: Probably will begin sanding either the passenger side fender or the cowling & work my way backward on the body. Dad has another grill in better shape than the current one, & I will need to replace the driver's side fender, so no work to do on those other than remove them at the appropriate time. We're expecting a cold front in the coming days, so I may not get to it for a couple of weeks, as the garage gets rather cold!

No comments: